Mom was doing okay this afternoon. She had the procedure where they place a Tunnel Dialysis Catheter on the left side of her neck/chest. They insert the catheter under the skin, kind of by her heart and run it up to a vein in her neck. At least, that's what I understand it. Mom said she was doing okay, but it "took the starch out of me today." She said she had to be awake for it, but they gave her something for pain. She said it kind of hurt because they were pushing to get the catheter up to where it needed to go and they were having trouble because of some scar tissue from a biopsy she had a few years ago. She said that hurt more than anything else, but that she was feeling better.
They didn't do dialysis today. They were going to wait and do it tomorrow.
She didn't eat anything today. She thinks its the medicine they're giving her that is making her nauseous. Poor mommy.
REALLY IMPORTANT: One of mom's doctors (I don't remember which one) said that her bone marrow isn't producing new cells like it should.
Today's biology lesson: Bone marrow is the flexible tissue found in the hollow interior of bones. In adults, marrow in large bones produces new blood cells, i.e. red blood cells (the body's principal means of delivering oxygen to the body tissues via the blood), white blood cells (the body's defense against both infectious disease and foreign materials), and platelets (basically leads to the formation of blood clots - which, most of the time, is a good thing).
What does this mean? This means that her immune system is depressed or weakened. Therefore, they have asked that there be no visits from children (I'm assuming under 12 years of age - just like the shock/trauma icu rules stated when she was on the 5th floor). Also, anyone who may have a cold or other illness, or has been around anyone with a cold or illness, should wear a mask when visiting mom.
Mom is really concerned that this will keep her visitors away. She doesn't want that to happen. Visitors really help her days pass more enjoyably (just not quickly enough though). I would just suggest to use your best judgment.
As always, thank you for your prayers, kind words and visits to mom.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Aunt Jean,
ReplyDeleteWe just wanted you to know that we love you and are praying for you! You are in our thoughts every day.
Wow Sandy, thanks so much for this wonderful informative blog.
ReplyDeleteJean, I love you and I'm praying for you. I took your advice.
Love,
Susie Weiler